Best Places to Eat Mexican Food in Austin
I crave Mexican food on the daily. Luckily, Austin has an incredible variety of delicious Mexican restaurants that hit the spot. Whether it's tex-mex (my usual go-to), interior Mexican food, and everything in between - there are so many places worth checking out. Read on for my list of favorite spots in Austin to grab a marg, eat chips & salsa, and chow on tacos (or quesadillas, enchiladas, flautas, etc.)
Maudie's is, hands down, my favorite tex-mex restaurant. It's been an Austin staple for decades, and always hits the spot! They also have healthy options if you're in the mood for something lighter.
- Gill's margarita (Don Julio Blanco but I usually swap it out for Dolce Vida, Cointreau & fresh squeezed lime juice)
- Frozen margarita (not too sweet...perfect for summertime in Austin)
- Powerbowl Lite (layered salad with rice, lettuce, black beans, jack cheese, pico & avocado)
- Skinny Sheryl's (chicken enchiladas with tomatillo sauce, grilled zucchini & rice). Those are just a few items I love...there's something for everyone at Maudie's!
HAPPY HOUR: Monday 3pm - Close, Tuesday-Friday 3:00pm - 6:30pm
This contemporary spot is perfect for when you're feeling a lil fancy. They serve interior Mexican dishes, unique cocktails, and a variety of other interesting menu items that you probably won't see at any other Mexican restaurant. I was wowed the first time I went, which doesn't happen as often as I'd like when it comes to trying new places.
- Mezcal Margarita (not on the menu, but it's just a margarita with mezcal)
- Nada Paloma (cimmaron blanco, union mezcal, citrus soda, & grapefruit). Their cocktail list is really intriguing and different, so venture out and try something new! As far as food goes...you can't really go wrong.
- Fish a la Devil (their version of fish tacos, but you assemble the tacos yourself with all of the ingredients)
- Green Chorizo Tlayuda (white bean refrito, quesillo, almond, & pumpkin seeds - just get it, you will LOVE)
- Carne Asada (steak tacos with refried beans, charred green garlic y tomato, & tortillas), and the ceviche (featuring their catch of the day)...I could go on, but those are a few stand-out items for me - this place is a treat!
HAPPY HOUR: Every night 5pm - 6pm
El Alma always hits the spot, and it's right near my 'hood! It's the perfect place to grab a margarita and appetizers after work or for girls night. Everything always tastes so fresh and flavorful. They also have a big patio in the back, which is perfect for sipping drinks and chowing down on tacos.
- Flaquita (watermelon-serrano infused jimador silver, watermelon purée, lime juice, agave, el chile rim)
- Chilanga (frozen margarita, orange, valentina, el chile rim)
- Pollo asado & shrimp pastor tacos (you can order them a la carte and get individual sides as well - get the corn pudding!)
- Sopa azteca (ancho and chipotle spiced tomato soup with chicken, tortilla strips, avocado, corn, crema, queso fresco, & cilantro)
HAPPY HOUR: Every day 3pm-6pm
I love La Condesa, but I tend to only go for happy hour since it can get a little pricey. Their margaritas are always delicious and I love the atmosphere - it's a great spot to bring friends from out of town! Don't sleep on the dessert either - their pastry chef is incredible.
- Alma blanca (habanero-infused cimarron blanco, domaine de canton ginger liqueur, agave nectar, pineapple juice, fresh corn, hoja de hierba santa, & hibiscus-rose-infused salt rim)
- Margarita la clásica (el jimador silver, patrón citrónge, lime juice, agave nectar, & cactus lemongrass-infused salt rim)
- Guacamole (you've never had guacamole like this...they have several different options, but the jumbo lump crab, apple, & coconut vinegar is a highlight)
- Tiradito ceviche (hamachi, charred scallion vinaigrette, avocado, ginger, & serrano)
HAPPY HOUR: Monday-Friday 5pm-7pm (bar area only)
Matt's El Rancho
Last but certainly not least...Matt's El Rancho. This spot is an Austin staple! They're family owned and have been around since 1952. It can get pretty crowded, so I like to go during their slower times (earlier in the week or early in the evening on the weekends). It's the perfect spot to go when you're in need of some good tex-mex.
- Frozen skinny margarita (I usually feel full after drinking a frozen marg, but these are so light and delicious!)
- Mexican martini (the best of the best. grab one to drink on their patio for a true 'Austin' experience)
- Fajitas for two (perfect for sharing or date night)
- Bob armstrong dip (queso with some extra love)
HAPPY HOUR: Every day 3pm-6pm
I could have put at least 10 more places on this list, but for the sake of keeping it short and sweet...these are my stand-out spots. Leave a comment below and let me know what your favorite Mexican restaurants are in Austin!